Sunday, August 26, 2012

Dirty Laundry...

...I mean literally!  So, I am in the process of doing laundry and Tim is out at the park with the boys - perfect time for an update!

Doing laundry here is quite a challenge. I found myself googling how to do laundry in Sweden as I try to streamline the process.  There is a normal front load washer - with a zillion different options for washing.  Cotton - hygiene, 30 degree, 40 degree, 60 degree temp, rinse, etc... It is enough to blow my mind!  The dryer looks like it should be normal, but it is not, not really.  It doesn't seem to dry clothes.  BUT there is this room, just off the laundry room that dries clothes - there are cables that run from one end of the room to another and a big ass industrial size box that blows (and I do mean blows) warm air into the room.  This room is a cement walled, windowless room with a heavy door and it works so much faster than a drier - even by north american standards!  I am in love, and assuming I am using it correctly (who really knows) I love the crisp clean clothes and bedding.  It's like pulling clothes off the line, without the bugs or the sun bleach...pretty neat! A couple of people have also blogged about their laundry experiences as well, idiot is one word that is used to describe how they felt when figuring out the system :o)

Looking for a home...

So we looked at our first potential home on Friday. The appointment was booked for the afternoon, so Tim was at work and I trekked off with the kids. Location barely known, those of you who know me, know that I am directionally challenged, and was a bit anxious about this trek.  The traditional Swedish row house community was out in the sticks of Gothenburg. It actually took about an hour by tram and bus to get out there on the highway from where we are currently living. Tim works about half that distance, so for him the commute would have been about 30 - 45 minutes depending on traffic. The rooms were smaller than any I have seen so far - I know this may be typical, but there is absolutely NO WAY our queen bed would have fit anywhere in that house.  Also, the wall coverings (wallpaper everywhere, yikes!!) were sketchy at best.  The room they were not going to recover was an entire room (not a feature wall, mind) of purple, lavender and black "paint splotches" all over - the owner really liked it - I tried VERY hard not to make a funny face.

Needless to say, this one was a no. We will keep on looking!

I know you all are doing well - I would love for you to keep in touch, often...

xox

  

No comments: