Monday, August 20, 2012

Yikes...this surely is a test of patience!

We arrived safely in our "flat" rented to us by Tim's work. We get this place for about a month until we find a home of our own.  We cannot be too choosey in this however, as rentals are really few and far between here.  We hope to have enough room to invite our friends and families overseas for visits - or as Oliver prefers, sleepovers :)

It is very hard for me not to hit the ground running, language classes, look for a job, apartment, etc. I have to constantly remind myself to take it easy, we have only been here since Friday, and today was the first day we could do anything at all! We went to the immigration office, yippee! It was long, but not too long. I met a woman who is an american and has been living in the UK for seven years and now Sweden for one year.  She has not bothered to / or  had need to learn any Swedish at all.  While this is comforting, it does not really appeal to me, and from the feeling I get, I think the Swedes probably do not appreciate this either. It is now my goal to get going on the Swedish learnin' sooner rather than later.  Integration is important to me, I do not want to feel like this for long.  Also, I really had a time of it trying to figure out how to do laundry today!

Our discussion with the fellow at the immigration office today suggested that we wait until we have our personnumbers before getting Oliver registered for school.  We will check with the school tomorrow, just to be sure - but Oliver will have to do some home schooling in the mean time - thrilled :(

A couple of things I have noticed over the last couple of days:

  • After searching high and low for plugins (a girl has GOT to dry her hair) I decided I would have to dry my hair in the hallway at the entrance to our place, low and behold - Tim found a plugin for me in the bathroom cleverly disguising itself with a covered plate over it. Hard to explain really, but does make us open our eyes a bit more!
  • Also, IKEA, IKEA everywhere...our entire flat kitchen to living room - who knows, maybe even the TV and appliances...
  • Many, many more things, really i should start writing them down, as I forget at this hour of the night :)
Swedish word for the day: Ko (kind of sounds like kooa) means Cow.  Angus discovered a cow stuffy in someones car window, I thought it a great time to learn my first on the fly word!

Goodnight all, I hope my posts get more entertaining as time goes on! I also hope Tim pops on once in a while with his observations - he is a fabulous writer!



No comments: